Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Simple Music Theory

I've never posted this version. It shows an 12 note octave, a 7 note scale and their relationship.

I did not yet point out the relationship between the first and second circles. You could draw them as two sine waves of the same frequency one half sine wave out of phase. So the intersections of the vertical circles (blue) intersect between the horizontal circles (red). I think I've colored the little outside row of dots inversed i.e. the blue should be red and red blue.

Further talking I think might spoil the symetry of the drawing and I'm getting anxious to create a few real scales using this. It may take me a few days to do this since I'm kind of busy this weekend. I am thinking about it and will post a diagram with real note labels soon. Before then you can create a C scale very eaisly (CDEFG) by writing a C next to 1, B next to 2, etc.

To create a scale in A put an unwriten form over the C scale and rotate the page until the root scale note 1 on the top form is over the A on the C scale. Copy the notes through the paper and that would be your A scale. Why? To preserve the note phase relationships to each other.

I'll do this example and post both C and A scale diagrams next.

 Posted by Hello

No comments: